Food that is better for you, and better for the planet.
Meet Keertida & Karan,
co-founders of better.
From teaching Spanish since she was 18 (¡Hola!), to doing beauty marketing with L’Oréal in France and India, then traveling halfway across the globe to train as a vegan chef in New York and returning to launch a restaurant in Pune- it has been a delectable journey of detours to the world of entrepreneurship!
One-food-if-stranded-on-an-island: Steaming hot bowl of ramen (and hoping that island is Japan!)
Proud of: Having trekked Machu Picchu with no training. Yup, winged it and won it.
Can't say no to: Watching re-runs of Frasier.
Karan is a social impact professional with a Masters in Sustainable Development from HEC Paris. Karan has worked at a range of organisations - a government agency, a boutique consulting firm, and an international non-profit. He got bitten by the entrepreneurship bug when he worked at Airbnb as the City lead for Bombay, and he eventually set out to start better.
One-food-if-stranded-on-an-island: Spicy jackfruit biryani (and hoping that island is Sri Lanka)
Proud of: Never having lost a Roger Federer quiz (yup, it's an obsession)
Can't say no to: Playing/ watching/ talking about a game of tennis
The universe works in funny ways!
Karan and Keertida both went to the same college for undergrad, and then to Paris for their Masters. And yet, it was only in 2018, at the newly set-up restaurant, that Keertida met a very jackfruit-obsessed Karan for the first time and the idea for better. was born.
It all started with a book. A book about 'Eating Animals', which also happens to be its name.
A book that made Karan wonder why our food system is so exploitative and destructive, not just to animals but also to the planet we inhabit and most of all to us, the consumer. This gets Karan thinking about how food can be made more sustainable and wholesome.
Meanwhile, Keertida is working hard at the world's first plant based culinary school on how to make sustainable food taste delicious and make it people's default option, and not just something to buy for the first 15 days of January.
Unknown to each other at this point but bought together by the power of social media in late 2018, they join forces to create better.
Our ethos manifests
through six core values.
- focused on conscious consumption, local sourcing, reduce-reuse-recycle and carbon-emissions reducing action that are better for the earth (in the absence of a Plan B, let's save whatever's left)
- meaning nothing we make will ever comes from animals. All-plants, always. No, not just because Beyoncé made it trendy.
- meaning our recipes use ingredients from nature, not labs. We celebrate real colours and real flavours - not artificial extracts, strains and substrates.
- and we strive to create vibrant, radiant and life-affirming foods that spark joy. Think happy pill, minus a subscription, or side-effects.
- we aim to create food that goes beyond constrained calorie-considerations (that's so 90S) to make food that nourishes both body and soul (yup, we're millenials).
- with our products designed to delight the senses- we take the pursuit of pleasure very seriously.